Tuesday, March 6, 2012

An Attitude Shift

As detailed in my previous blog, my February numbers were abysmal. Just embarrassing. Certainly not going to get anything done. What I've also learned is attitude adjustments and making changes to your routine are not easy.

At the Chilly Cheeks Duathlon #3, I had a first for me: a DNF. That's right, I did not finish the race. When I was out there on the bike, a combination of illness, wind, and the simple self acknowledgement that my training had been very weak and I quite frankly didn't belong on that course led to me pulling out of the race. It was one of the most humbling things I have ever had to do, and that is not an exaggeration.

So where does that leave me, you might ask?

Well, here's where it leaves me. I, at one point last year, was the fittest I have ever been. I was eating healthy, was at a very good weight, had respect from my peers and my family, thought I looked amazing in pictures, and was quite frankly very proud of myself. On February 29th, Leap Day (coincidence?), I swam, which was my first workout back since my illness, and decided that was it. I'm done slacking. I'm done not being a good athlete again.

But you've heard this mantra from me before. Time and again. Why should you believe me this time? It's a fair question. But here's why.

My numbers for March, even though it's only the 6th day, I'm already at 10 miles of running, nearly 10 miles of riding, and already got some weights in. Furthermore, today I'm going to do an hour of yoga and tomorrow hopefully some more lifting. Thursday will be riding, Friday will be more running, and Saturday will be swimming and lifting.

It's time to wield the broadsword. It's time to cut some pounds. It's time to put together a plan. And it's time to be proud of myself again.

Now I need to give myself a reason to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment