Monday, March 1, 2010

Being sick sucks

Last Wednesday, I started coming down with a cold. I eat a lot of oranges, so I don't know how this happened, except for the fact that I work in an environment that basically circulates germs 24/7. So I guess it was going to happen...but still...sucks.

In any event, I haven't totaled my workouts from February yet, but I can tell you it wasn't a disappointment as I thought it was going to be. I ended up running quite a bit, swimming quite a bit, and doing some good treadmill sprints. Granted, my totals were not as high as January, but honestly, with all the disdain I have for February, I'm pretty happy with it. My diet suffered in February, and I definitely need to get back on track with that come this month.

Anyway, my best friend Tim came to visit me last weekend. He's my best buddy from college. He's also a 3:54 marathoner and quite the inspiration to me. We were both hockey players in college but he was definitely in better shape than I. He wanted to run in Colorado, and I was more then happy to oblige. So Saturday morning, T, myself, and Tim laced 'em up and off we went on a 3 mile run.

Tim wanted to tackle the hardest hill we have around the house so we figured out a 3 mile run that goes up Timberline. This is about .4 miles, but it's brutal. Nonetheless, all 3 of us ran up it and made it back home in 32:48 for a pace of 10:39 per mile. Not bad, not great, but I was very happy with it. Tim was a little surprised, but I told him that it's deceptively slow around Colorado.

He also shared some insight on positive attitudes. He basically summed it up as if you pummel your brain with negative thoughts, you're not going to achieve what you want. So instead of saying how brutal that hill looks, instead think about what it's going to shape your body into. Stuff like that. It's interesting insight and something that I need to always work on.

Finally, I think tomorrow I will be good to go and ready to get back into my groove.

Goodnight for now. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment