Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Back on track and being a triathlete

As I promised, I am vowing to get back on track this week. Last night was a nice start to it, even though I only swam 1000 meters in a pretty slow time. I couldn't get a rhythm going and to be honest, it was pretty frustrating. Nevertheless, I'm glad I got a good swim in.

I've been wanting to talk about this for awhile and am now just getting around to it. It's the "triathlete mind". Many triathletes out there consider themselves really good in one triathlon discipline and ok or even not ok in the others. For instance, many triathletes were swimmers in high school and college and discovered the sport of triathlon. Since they are athletes anyway, the other two disciplines aren't too difficult for them. But because they are so good at swimming, they focus on that and forget about the other disciplines. This isn't the right attitude to have. Instead of thinking of myself as a pretty good swimmer and a decent runner who can do ok on the bike when necessary, I'm going to think of myself as a triathlete. Not someone who can do one sport better then the others. No, I'm going to train in all three disciplines and become good in all three of them. Because I'm not just a swimmer. Not just a cyclist. Not just a runner. I'm a triathlete. And I continue to aspire to get better.

Got a run scheduled for today. And it's going to feel good. :-)

1 comment:

  1. I think it's great that you have such focused goals, Brandon! I have never been good at that. I've been more like Forest Gump, I just take a direction and run :-)

    ReplyDelete