Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Training for IMoo - Week One

Week One: 12.31-1.6

I started off the week in Las Vegas. Brandon had an overnight there on New Year's Eve and we were planning on being back there for a few days later that week ... so I just drove out and made a home base for a little while.

(all days I'm doing the TIU daily workout for now for simple, consistent strength. I may not mention that I do it, but it gets done.)

12.31

Nothing much this day; just my daily workout and a swim. There are several 24s in the Las Vegas area ... but not many that aren't Super Sports (above my membership level). Swimmers Guide had an active with a pool that was in theory 25m ... so I went there. I thought I was going to get kicked out as there was a class supposedly starting 20 minutes after I got in, but thankfully that didn't happen.

What was terrible is that since they do swim lessons out of that pool, it's kept at 86 degrees. Gross. So warm.

1.1

Woke up right around sunrise (it was terrible) to get in a run. It was windy AF, but a great way to start off the year.

2019_nyrun
From the Instagrams. Most of the run was done off Strip, but we were back on by this point.

1.2

All without Brandon. Swim and a bike on the schedule.

The swim was the longest I'd done in a while and required a lot of self-talk to get through. Mostly because, as I figured out later, I was super hungry. Well, that, and it's just a shit pool.

The bike was a few miles shorter than planned since the trail I found was garbage. I was not cycling on Vegas streets if at all possible (ugh, drivers) ... but the fail meant I needed to find a much better trail for the next day.

1.3

Yay, Brandon back! Run and bike on tap for the day.

I didn't run at my original planned location due to timing fail, but found a nice park close to the airport (so close I was able to see his plane on its final descent) to get in a slow AF 4 miles (attempting HR only for long runs. but I really need to change the zones in my Garmin).

Rode the I-215 Beltway trail which was a much better option than the previous day ... but still quite a few stops for lights. Reminded me of the 36 or 470 trails here.

1.4 

Originally had a swim planned ... but swapped that to Sunday thanks to the pool being DUMB. Closed from 5-9am for cleaning and then a 9am class so the earliest we could have gotten in was 10am ... and that didn't work with what we wanted to do.

So, we rode instead. Found the Union Pacific Railroad Trail which connected to some other trail high above Boulder City (south(?) of Henderson). Slow going out, and Brandon had some mental issues, so I ended up leaving him so as to get in my 20 miles.

2019_vegasride
Also from the Instagrams. At the turnaround.

While I still think I have marginal PTSD regarding cycling around Henderson thanks to Silverman in 2015 ... I did actually enjoy this ride the further I got into it.

1.5

Another run. Went back to the same park as the third. Quite a bit of walking, but completed as scheduled. Score.

1.6

Sooooo I had been feeling kind of icky for a day and a half and ended up puking Saturday afternoon (B thinks I had a touch of food poisoning). As a result, I still felt like ass on Sunday morning. And I apparently burst a blood vessel in my eye while vomiting ... maybe because I hadn't puked in 6ish years? ... so our hoped swim before leaving town? Didn't happen. I felt just too terrible and I wasn't so sure about suctioning an already sore eyeball into goggles.

*****

One week down and only one missed workout. I'm not happy about missing that swim - believe me - but I think it was ultimately for the best.

Weekly Numbers:
Swim: 3500m, 1:22:19
Bike: 38.03 mi, 2:43:52
Run: 9.34 mi, 1:50:30
Strength: 1:06

No comments:

Post a Comment