Sunday, January 5, 2014

2014 Goals and Resolutions

I'm still figuring out my race schedule for this year, but I think I have these down enough where I feel comfortable posting them.

Running:

5K: That ass-old 26:27 PR needs to go DOWN. I'm sick of it. I can barely use it anymore. I have run that fast once; I know I can do it again. Besides, aren't I supposed to get better athletically in my 30s?
Opportunities: Tentative race schedule includes anywhere from one to three (and probably more) 5Ks. There's essentially one a weekend around here - even in the frozen months - so I'll have ample chances to try.

BolderBOULDER: Keep PRing. My time has gotten better each year I have run the BolderBOULDER. It may have only been by four seconds last year, but it still went down. I'd like that to continue, and ideally get under 59:00. But if I hit 59:11? Still a success.
Opportunities: Well, this is race-specific, so one. Better make it count.

Half-Marathon: Keep chasing 2:00. Now, I'm not sure if I'll hit it, but I want to keep edging closer. An official 2:10 might be nice, too.
Opportunities: Several. Tentative race schedule has three (!) 13.1 mile races on it - two are definite, one is maybe. This will also be interesting as I've never done more than one (stand-alone) in a year and here I am planning multiple ...

Triathlon:

Sprint Tri: Chase 1:30. This is a tricky goal as sprints are varying distances. That being said, most sprints around here pretty much abide by a 750m swim, 12ish mile bike, 5K run format. Tri for the Cure in 2012 saw me hit a 1:34 and I believe that I can do better than that.
Opportunities: Unsure. At least one, maybe two? The definite one probably isn't ideal for this, but we'll see.

Olympic Tri: Keep getting closer to 3:00. I finally cracked that damn 3:30 barrier last year, so I'd like to keep dropping. 3:25? 3:20? I'm good with it all, as long as it's under 3:30.
Opportunities: At least one, possibly two. Still undecided.

70.3/Long Course Tri: Sub-7:30. Aiming a little low here. I probably would have gotten this last year at Boulder had I not flatted, but who knows, right? Ideal here is probably sub-7:00, but I'm going to be a bit more realistic. And if I shatter it? All the better.
Opportunities: One. Going to FINALLY sign up for Harvest Moon and do the damn thing.

140.6 mi Tri: None. Boo.

Other:

Running: Get back into the 8:00/mi range. I was running 8:30s solidly back in 2007 (also known as the year of the 5K PR. I got reeeeally good at running three miles) and I know that it's possible for me to get back down there.
Execution: Hills! Speed work! Pseudo-MAF work through probably March (I say pseudo because I don't own a heart rate monitor. MX12 buddy Jenna-Caer says you can do it off RPE though, so that works for me.)! I will, however, keep to my three run a week system except for probably a few bricks as I get closer to Harvest Moon.

Cycling: Learn to tolerate hills. This one's funny. I live in Colorado, land of mountains and hills, and I loathe riding them. I see a hill and I curse under my breath as I pedal up the damn thing. However, I know that hills make me stronger and a better cyclist. So, my goal this year is to get to the point where instead of thinking, "oh m'fer, not another goddamn hill," I think, "huh. Another hill. Okay." I don't think I'll ever truly love hills, but if I could not hate them so much? That'd be nice.
Execution: Purposefully seek hills out. Ride enough of them until they beat me into submission. Also a lot of off the bike strength work to make sure the muscles to power up said hills are strong enough.
Also: Just a lot of time in the damn saddle. Even though I don't have an Ironman this year, I'd ideally like to ride as least as much as I did last year, if not more. I want to do more long rides for fun - like our 70-miler to Golden - not because I have to. I want to enjoy riding the bike again.

Swimming: Keep improving. I suck, and would like to suck less. Fairly simple.
Execution: Drill work. Learn to love my paddles/pull buoy/fins. Spend a lot of time in the pool. And, as much as I don't want to do it financially, maybe look into lessons with an actual triathlon/swim coach to work with me on form. Jenna and I have tossed around the idea of going in on semi-private lessons since she's not as strong of a swimmer as she'd like to be (though still loads better than I). We'll see ...

Other:
- Strength train REGULARLY. I keep failing at this one and it's really unacceptable.
- Stay injury free. I think the slow running, lifting and stretching will help keep the stupid IT band under control and I'd like to keep it that way.
- Do at least one non-tri-related activity (hockey, snowshoeing, skiing, hiking, etc.) a month. Doesn't matter what it is, as long as it's not swim/bike/run/stretch/lift.

Blog:
Yes! I have resolutions regarding this damn thing, too. I can't speak to the other half, but I'll try to prod him to post a bit more, too. I really want to get on a semi-regular schedule on this thing. Here's my thoughts:
Monday: Post about a previous week's workout. Not a recap, per se, but a post about a good ride, or run, or whatnot. Ideally with fun photos.
Wednesday: Race recap (if necessary), or, if I couldn't post Monday, post what I would have that day.
Saturday/Sunday: (depends on my off day) Various post on whatever ... like this! Might do a gear review, book review, stuff I train with, etc.
First of the Month: Standard round-up from the previous month.

Lofty, I know (especially those last few!), but I think I can do it. It'll require me to cut back on my Facebook and random internet time (oh darn), but I think that's part of the reason why.

Wish me luck, peeps!

No comments:

Post a Comment