Monday, May 20, 2013

Week Twenty: 5/13-5/19

In which my mindset shifts back. On a side note, 20 weeks through this year already? Jeebus.

Monday, May 13: Bike: 6.05 mi in 20:04; avg cad 90; 18.09 mph
- 35.9 mph max
- started over-unders; moved to just spinning with pick-ups.
- Barely had any time to get this in, but extremely glad I was able to squash at least this much in.

Tuesday, May 14: Walking: ~3 hrs - up and down the Vegas strip
- hotel to hotel
- Lifting didn't particularly work for me, but I did get in a crap-ton of walking. Woo vacations for that.

Wednesday, May 15: Run: 3.2 mi in 30:11.17 - 9:25/mi
- Vegas strip run
- stairs are a lactic destroyer
Walking: ~ 5.5 hours
- walk up and down and back and forth and to and fro on the Strip
- my feet hurt
- I think I was a walking zombie by the end of the day. Really glad I got the run in, even though it wasn't as long as I had planned. My legs definitely got worked, though.

Thursday, May 16: Off: lack of time
- Wake up, head to airport, fly home, head to work, work, sleep. That was my day and it had no time for a workout. But I already knew that going into this week.

Friday, May 17: Off: exhausted
- I've been go-go-go since Monday. My body refused to go anymore. So, I listened to it. Slightly frustrating nonetheless.

Saturday, May 18: Swim: 1200m in 27:02.66 - 2:15/100m
- 3x100m, 1x600m, 3x100m
- felt good during this
Lift: 27:00
- 3/10 captain's chair; 3/10/10 back extensions; 3/10/5 db pullovers; 3/10/5 lat db raises; 3/10/10 incline db flies; 3/10/8 tricep kickbacks; 3/10/120 standing calf; 2/10/65 hamstring curl; 3/15/12 med ball twists; 3/10/10 goblet bosu squats
- didn't hurt as much as I thought it would
- Good solid effort at the gym. Time at 900m in pool consistent with where I've been - awesome with the long set. Been a while since I've been satisfied with a workout!

Sunday, May 19: Bike: 8.31 mi in 32:39; avg cad 77; 15.27 mph
- 25.9 mph max; 143 max cad
- Spinervals 23.0 Time Saver I; workout A: technique
- this was a struggle. disheartening.
- The plan was to also get on the treadmill, but mentally, I was so upset with that workout that I felt that I wouldn't be able to get through the treadmill set. That thought was enough to make me bag it. Could I have gotten through it physically? Maybe, but if not, I think the failed attempt would have done more harm than good.

So I know my working out has slipped over the last two months compared to what it was over the first three months. I didn't give as much as my attention to it until yesterday. That bike, that recovery set, usually easy, about killed me. It was the first time I've done it on the new bike, but I don't think that should have mattered. I think that's also why I really haven't been on the treadmill much this month - my running has slacked and I'm scared to get on the treadmill and hurt and have an asthma attack and cry.

But giving into that fear does me no good. None at all. Ironman is a scary, scary journey and I've embraced that fear. I just have to remind myself that embracing the fear of the huge and unknown means I need to embrace the related fear that trickles down through my training lifestyle. I have a long trainer ride scheduled for today and I'm terrified. That just means I need to get at it. If this week goes to plan (it needs to and will), I will run more this week than I have this whole month. I'm not even going to get in to how much that hurt to write, but I will do it because it needs to get done. Because I need to embrace that fear and face it head on. I will fail otherwise.

Weekly training time: 10:46:57
Weekly training mileage: 18.31 mi
Yearly training time: 74:03:39
Yearly training mileage: 487.08 mi

No comments:

Post a Comment