Friday, June 7, 2019

Race #2 of the Season: Colorado 5K

... as well as the annual Skirt Sports Ambassador Retreat.

I didn't take too many photos at the retreat this year, so I'm not going to do a separate post solely about the retreat. However, it was once again an amazing experience and I got to see lots of old friends, and, weird for me, make lots of new ones. 

(whaaaaaat? me be social? ... i'm working on it ...)

I started off by going up Thursday for cake (caaaaake ... if there is Kim and Jake's, I will be there). Then Friday for pie and the opening evening, where we heard from head Skirt staff and Mirna Valerio and also had the annual Skirt awards.

IMG_1778
Shenanigans were had.

IMG_1782
A quilt was presented that will be auctioned off for Running Start. I may need to save money for this ...

IMG_1783
... as well as one that was gifted to founder Nicole DeBoom.

IMG_1786
We also got a sneak peek at the future. The new "plaid" print that's coming out? Must have it in EVERYTHING.

Saturday morning started with a hike and I got to be one of the hike leaders.

IMG_1790

(Really I just followed Nicole's group a few minutes back so we wouldn't get in trouble for having a group larger than 25 on the trail.)

We then convened for speakers and workouts and a ton of inspiration. The theme of the weekend was "Together" and I felt that it fit us well. I definitely do feel closer to my Skirt sisters after this weekend ... and not only because I stripped during the vintage fashion show that evening.

IMG_1811
Nicole and I were the most naked there. Her shirt doesn't really have a back. I started in a skirt and essentially t-shirt ... stripped down to a tri tank ... and then to this ancient swimsuit. Also yes, I'm very pale.

While this was going on, Brandon actually was getting back home and having to ride share home from the airport.

He didn't really want to wake up the next morning for the race, but decided he would.

Good thing too ... but I'll get there.

As I wrote in the IM weekly recap this week, the plan was to race the 5K and then run another 6 cheering people on. Instead ... I sort of raced the 5K, hit the porta potty very soon after, got cake ... and kind of disappeared. I skipped out on the brunch we always have post-race as the unofficial retreat end, too. Dang gut.

Anyway, the race. 

I could tell starting out that I just didn't really have it. I had calf tightness, I was having trouble getting a good breath ... it was pretty terrible. B left me when I stopped to walk for the first time, figuring I'd just catch up to him later (spoiler: this did not happen). 

This race is pretty hard anyway - start in the Home Depot parking lot, run up a hill to Davidson Mesa, turn around, run back down the hill.

First mile was way slower than expected. I was able to pick it up somewhat back to a decent pace in the second mile. I was running fast on the downhill - in the 6s! - but I couldn't sustain diddly squat.

I was so hoping to do better in this race (and hit a sub-30 again dangit), but it was not to be.

IMG_1832

Final Stats:
Time: 30:41.4
2/48 AG (F30-39)
9/214 gender
15/234 overall

The funny thing is, two of the three times I actually raced this 5K (on a different course), I got third with faster times. Okay, I got a faster time each time.

In reality, it should have been fifth, but top 3 females in the 5K were also in my AG, so they got pulled. Nice how that works.

And Brandon who didn't want to get out of bed? He also got second AG.

AUYM1201

Not too shabby of a morning after all, and I guess it's not the worst that I'm disappointed with the results. I'll take sub-10 per mile as that hasn't really been happening much lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment