Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Training for IMoo - Week Nine

Week Nine: 2.25-3.3

Still heavily modifying the daily, but decided to keep doing it through March. And probably will through IMoo.

This week was also probably the roughest I've had so far, in terms of a lot of factors. I was originally supposed to go out of town for the weekend for a mini vacation and therefore have my week heavily front-loaded ... but that didn't happen. There were also other extraneous factors that contributed to a heavy week of suckage ... read on.

2.25

Speed work day in the pool - the actual time it's been taking me to do the 1400 has stayed relatively consistent, but I did manage to get my second fastest 200 all out. That is what ultimately matters, so I'm happy with that. The ride was an old MX set - Mediums which ... ugh.

2.26

The story of this day starts the night before, really. I was supposed to pick up B from the airport Monday night, but his flight got in so late that he decided to Uber home so I wouldn't be completely useless the next day. We tossed around the idea of him coming in Tuesday morning ... but we had a plumber scheduled to come during the same window where I had a dentist appointment and his flight would get in right around there. No good. So, he HAD to get home Monday night.

I vaguely remember him crawling into bed ... but what I really remember is being woken up at 2am to some ungodly shrieking and other noises.

What I haven't mentioned in here is that we've been dealing with something in our walls. We know where the access point(s) is/are, but we haven't been able to definitively say *what* had invaded. The last time the critter guy was out he suggested buying straight capsaicin, putting it in a spray bottle with water, and spraying it around where we think whatever is getting in (since the hole found around Thanksgiving that was in theory covered up wasn't working since I'd seen insulation around the same area recently that had been pulled out).

Well, I guess it worked, as it pissed off/injured three GIANT FUCKING RACCOONS that had been living under the bay window in our dining room. Think of a Maine Coon cat. Yeah. Each one of those assholes was about that size. 

When the noise woke us up, I first went down to investigate and yep, definitely coming from underneath the floor. I went back upstairs ... and then B came down with me with a flashlight and that's when we saw the raccoons scurrying across the lawn to the tree. Ugh.

Needless to say ... capsaicin works (and I've been spraying it about every three days to make sure they don't fucking come back ... and I haven't heard sounds in the walls since).

We were also completely exhausted the next morning ... so much so that, well, long story short, I wasn't tagging along with B on his layover to Costa Rica. And I ended up changing around a lot of my workouts the rest of the week.

IN THEORY I was supposed to run 4 miles - easy/harder/easy - and bike 30. Yeah. The bike got moved and I barely made it two miles because I was just. so. tired. 

Fucking raccoons.

2.27

Swim and a ride. 2200 as 22x100 - my notes: "the eternal struggle. so rough." The ride was the Troy recovery/technique set which did ironically help perk me up some.

2.28

If I *had* gone on vacation ... I was going to do my long run early this morning, finish packing if need be, drop the bikes off at TriBella to get them in for a much needed tune (especially mine), and get to the airport.

Since I *didn't* ... four miles steady (ain't no way I was forcing my body to do any hard running this week). Also the long ride that was moved from Tuesday - 30 miles. Decided to ride to the park, do a few loops, ride back. Got to right before I would drop in to the park ... decided I wasn't enjoying myself at all (windy, cold, very mud-splattered) ... turned around ... and finished up on the trainer. 

The bikes still went to their "spa", however, as that had been booked and still needed to get done.

3.1

Except for the daily, this was a GLORIOUS DAY OF REST. If I had been on vacation, it would have been a long day of flights and travel and I didn't want to stress about trying to get anything major in. 

Also, from the week that I had had thus far ... so needed.

3.2

What should have been a glorious easy 4 miles in hot, humid Costa Rica turned into a chilly, early, trying-to-beat-the-snow (successfully!) 10 miles at home.

2019_firsttenmiler

We were supposed to get anywhere from 3-8 inches of snow starting ... sometime (7:45? noon? WHO KNOWS!) and I didn't particularly feel like slogging through snow for several hours, so I got this started pre-7am.

Not only did I beat the snow, but I somehow negative split the run. Score.

3.3

On past 3.03 days (main CO area code), I've gotten out on my bike. Or gone for a run. Or both. 

Instead ... I woke up to several inches of snow (we ended up with about 4) and below-freezing temps. I had my long swim on the schedule (figured I could get it in after I got home from my trip which, as we know, didn't happen. sad face) so I woke up and just got it done before everyone else woke up and got on the road.

2500 with the main set 3x700. Holy crap are the longer intervals rough (first time I've done more than ... 500? I think? ... this year). This swim was definitely probably the slowest 2500 I've done this year, but whatever. It got done and I survived the week from hell.

*****

Holy jeebus was this week hard. As I've documented here, I've been getting shit sleep (and I finally replaced one of my favorite pillows in desperation to see if it would help) and being woken up by shrieking banshee raccoons at 2:30 am (why is it always in the 2 o'clock hour? why?) did NOT help.

As much as that incident was terrible, we both remarked how grateful we were to have had it happen since at least we now KNOW what's been making noises in our house.

Sleep would have been nicer, though.

Motivation has been tough - I'm not going to lie. I've mentioned here in the past that February is almost always a tough month - it's almost guaranteed I'll have a dip in numbers - and that didn't happen. I'm just clawing and fighting right now to not have the dip come this month instead.

Weekly Numbers:
Swim: 6100m, 2:19:42
Bike: 62.92 mi, 4:02:38
Run: 16.09 mi, 3:07:34
Strength: 1:02

No comments:

Post a Comment