Friday, November 24, 2017

Race #14 of the Season: Broomfield Turkey Day 5K

Well, my fall of racing into fitness is almost done, and it has been relatively successful. Case in point: yesterday's turkey trot.

The race was less than a week removed from my previous 5K, but I did get in another run in between (on Tuesday, after I got back from Arizona ... even though it was way shorter than I was hoping).

The weather was actually gorgeous yesterday; almost too warm, really. I think temperature at race start was 61 degrees? Definitely would have been too warm had I run the 10K.

Anyway, I woke up fairly easily despite getting to bed way later than I would have liked to Wednesday evening. I ate breakfast and headed up to Broomfield early so as to get a good parking spot (and find out the best area that was not only close to the race but also allowed me to exit easily as I had to go pick up B from the airport immediately after). I did stop at a 7-11 so as to get a pre-race snack of Pop Tarts, since eating breakfast at 6ish and running at 9ish meant that I knew I'd need a tiny bite in between.

I got my packet, chilled out in the car, ate my Pop Tarts.

With about 20 minutes to go until race start, I left the car to head to the start line. And also take a selfie with an inflatable turkey.

broomfield

There were pace signs in the start corral, but I couldn't really find many of them and I didn't really know how things were going to go, so I just found myself a spot somewhere in the ... upper third of things, maybe?

9am rolled around, and off I went.

In theory my goals for this race (which I forgot about), were to:
- have fun
- sub-:30
- in and out

I ended up hitting two of the three, and had I actually remembered I wanted to hit sub-30 ... well, I might have tried to push a bit harder, though I'm not entirely sure that would have been possible.

First mile was fairly speedy, but it was also pretty much completely downhill. Unlike in AZ, I wasn't able to run all of the first two miles - first walk break was about 1.3 in. I tried to keep the breaks as short as possible, though, and push it a bit more when I was able to run.

I was a little frustrated with how much I wasn't able to go, but I kept a close eye on my watch to keep me averaging sub-10 per mile. Which I managed successfully.

Final Stats:
Time: 30:10.8
52/251 AG (F30-39)
186/956 gender
448/1661 overall

All in all, I'll take a race :30 quicker than the one a few days prior.

broomfield2
Plus, you know, a medal and free pie.

Just one more race remains on the schedule, and that's the Colder Boulder in a week. I've got three runs on tap prior to race day and I'd like two of them to be around three to four miles (at MAF) to attempt to get a bit more endurance under my belt. Biggest goal for that race is to hit sub-30 again, which I think I can do. I've run the race once before, back in 2015, and I did 27:45. I don't think I'll hit close to that, but I'd like to do my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment