Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Race #12 of the Season: Longmont Turkey Trot 2M

Also known as my first ever two mile race. Automatic PR. Woo!

I spent the night before at Katie's house; partially because she lives less than a mile away and partially because I spent Friday up there hanging out with her post-surgery. It meant I woke up early Friday morning, got in a swim and some time on the erg, drove up to Longmont, and was super lazy the rest of the day, getting covered in puppy fur.

I had (super delicious) Thai food for dinner - no breakfast - and I had eggs without orange juice pre-race. I woke up in time to walk over to pick up my bib as soon as I could, around 7am, got my bib, and walked back to hang out in the comfort of friends pre-race. I headed back out at 8:45, thinking my race started at 9:05, when really it ended up being more like 9:15.

I talked to Brandon. I took a pre-race selfie.

2miler

I had a false start at the beginning, crossing over the timing mats, as we got stopped because one of the mats somehow got folded up. I started back up.

My legs felt rough at the outset, not used to moving so quickly. It's been a whole two weeks since my last race and I've been running super slowly using heart rate ever since. My average run pace currently is somewhere in the 13s as I trust this process ... and abandon it for races.

Still, they moved, and although it was painful, I got through the first mile without walking and just under a 9 minute pace.

The second mile was slower, and I'm really thankful this race was ONLY two miles, as it was rough. My Garmin had it a bit long (2.04), but whatever. Short races are AMAZING.

I crossed the finish line, grabbed my bottle of water, and kept on walking, right back to Katie and Thom's. I knew there were a lot of people running and I know I'm not one of the quickest around, so I didn't want to hang out for awards, figuring there would be no point. I hit my one main goal for the race - sub-20:00 - so I was happy.

Later that afternoon, looking up my results (and talking to a friend I saw running the 10K on facebook), I learned that I probably should have stuck around.

2miler2
From my Insta story.

Final Stats:
Time: 18:31
2/29 AG (F30-34)
84/511 gender
242/965 overall

Apparently I got second. Was not expecting that. And, since the second place awards were perishable, I missed out on that, too. Which, I found out later, was pie. Dangit. I apparently get a certificate, though, and I'll be picking that up tomorrow.

So. To sum up, first two mile race, hit goal, automatic PR, placed in my AG. Not too shabby for a Saturday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment