Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Race #6 of the Season: BolderBOULDER 10K

This was our fifth straight BolderBOULDER. Unfortunately, it wasn't our fifth straight PR.

I guess I should go back a few days.

The race is always Monday, Memorial Day. Saturday, I lifted and went for a short run. Sunday, we swam and rode 16 miles on the 105. The new bike fits? Made for a fantastic ride.

5-25ride
Brandon putting his front wheel back on.


 photo 5-25ride2_zpsc8a82016.jpg
Post-ride selfie.

The new bike fit and the comfort level on it aided me in chasing down and catching Mike on the way back - which I was really proud of. Maybe not the smartest thing to do the day before a race, but eh.

After the ride, we went up to Silverthorne and went shooting. Only downside to this is, lunch ended up being a greasy pile of crap. Also not the wisest thing the day before a race.

Monday rolls around. 

We wake up and leave for Boulder with plenty of time. I poop once before leaving the house - fairly standard. Get to Boulder, get parked, get to Starbucks. I choose not to have coffee this year, but did eat a blueberry muffin. Went to the bathroom a second time - didn't really do anything. Went a third time - more poop.

Left Starbucks, dropped off our stuff at the FedEx mobile lockers and waited for our turn to go. My stomach still seemed a bit unsettled, but whatever. At 7:22:50, we were off.

Mile one was "easy." Brandon decided to pace us for the early miles - a reversal of what we usually do - and it felt pretty good. It was fairly quick, but it felt comfortable.

Mile two we slowed down a bit, but not much. 

Mile three was slow as per usual. Damn mile three. Still sub-10, though, which is good for us on this course.

Mile four ended up also being kind of slow. I feel like I felt a bit better than Brandon - we were running together, but I was holding back a bit so we could run together.

Mile five I felt my shoulder act up a bit, but ignored it and kept going.

Mile six I kept needing to walk because I felt like I was going to crap myself. I gave serious thought to some porta-potties I saw just after turning on to Folsom. That last mile was hell as a result and I couldn't keep up a pace.

Unfortunately, this meant my third-slowest BB time ... and me hunched over trying not to puke after crossing the finish line before finding the nearest bathroom for poop #4 (of five total that day).

Final Stats:
Time: 59:30.70
Pace: 9:34/mi
Overall Rank: 11769/45651
Gender Rank: 3967/24705
Division Rank: 137/634 (F30)

bolderboulder
Mike after his first BolderBOULDER and Brandon putting on flip-flops.


bolderboulder2
My feelings after the race.

bolderboulder3
Brandon decided my selfie wasn't good enough.

We checked out the expo and then headed home, as Brandon had to head home to Minnesota for a family emergency.

A race that still wasn't *bad*, but again, not indicative of what I think/know I can do right now. So what do I learn from this one?
- no greasy crap the day before
- work out smarter the days prior
- maybe stop eating food at Starbucks the morning of? Did that last year and stomach was also vaguely unsettled ...
- train properly. As always. 

For the curious, the mile splits:

Garmin:
Mile 1: 9:06.5
Mile 2: 9:21.2
Mile 3: 9:46.2
Mile 4: 9:48.9
Mile 5: 9:23.7
Mile 6: 9:32.5
Last bit: 2:32.9

(6.29 mi in 59:32)

Official:
Mile 1: 9:07
Mile 2: 9:27
Mile 3: 9:53
Mile 4: 9:55
Mile 5: 9:30
Mile 6.2: 9:52

No comments:

Post a Comment