Thursday, September 9, 2010

Delving into Politics?

I've never really talked about politics on this blog. I haven't really felt the need to. I have my beliefs and am not interested in imposing them on other people. I respect people for their beliefs, even if I disagree with them. And generally, when I get into a political discussion, I am able to be civil with the other person, no matter how extreme their views are. But this article and this event simply disgusts me.

In case you haven't been following the news, there is a planned Quran burning in Gainesville, Florida, which is also where our friend and fellow blogger, Dr. J lives. A small church is planning on burning the Quran on 9/11 between 6 and 9 p.m. Obviously, this burning is protected under the 1st Amendment, which, as unfortunate as it is in this case, protects this event.

This event has been condemned around the world, including by the Vatican, Muslim leaders, Sarah Palin, Hilary Clinton, and other Christian churches. The church pastor has a history of controversy, running an "anti-homo" campaign against the mayor of Gainesville, who is gay.

I can understand the message the pastor is trying to send. After all, on 9/11, there were images of Muslims burning the American flag and firing AK-47's into the air in celebration. But in my estimate, 90% of Muslims around the world are a peaceful group who condemn the 9/11 attacks and the message that this branch of radical Islam brings. How does burning the Quran promote the idea of peace? Instead of this event, why not engage in a debate with a Muslim?

I'm as angry as anyone over 9/11. But continuing the random hate will not bring a solution.

3 comments:

  1. For the sake of humanity there must come a time when kinder hearts will lead and reactive angry behaviors with no end in sight no longer prevail.

    Gainesville has a lot more going on than student murders, nut jobs, and Gator football, honest :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. FOOTBALL!

    (sorry Dr. J, couldn't help it. ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. "For the sake of humanity there must come a time when kinder hearts will lead and reactive angry behaviors with no end in sight no longer prevail."

    My thoughts exactly.

    ReplyDelete