Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Race #2 of the Season: Rockies Home Run 5K

... the second race of my weekend double. 

Unlike the Donut Dash the day before, I was actually hoping to race this race. I didn't think I'd come close to my course PR (28:something)(spoiler: I didn't), mostly because I took some time off running for Italy and I really haven't been doing any speed work.

Since both of us wanted to do pretty well, we also decided we would run separately. 

I managed to hit most of my goals, too.

- have fun. Indeed, there is even fun in suffering. Also with pre-race selfies with Dinger, the Rockies' mascot.

rockies
Not the Dinger selfie, but one of the two of us.

- pace well. Ha, well, not so much ... keep reading.

The gun went off and Brandon was gone. I kept him in sight for most of the first mile, but as soon as I had to slow down to walk, I lost him. The first mile of this race is one of the quickest opening miles around the Denver race scene (imho), and mine was probably too fast for current sustainability, at an 8:57. Oops.

Mile 2 starts uphill, and I walked some, before running again. And then walking at the aid station halfway through the mile. And a bit again. And then up the other hills on course. Dropped to a 9:45 for that mile.

Mile 3 was a lot of pain. Ran when I could (and, according to the Garmin file, ran quite fast), but I had absolutely no lungs. AT ALL. Saw the finish, turned into the stadium to run around the warning track, ran around it, struggled up the mini hill leaving the stadium (evil), walked once more, and then gutted out sub-7 pace to the finish, trying to hit my final goal.

- sub-30. So ... dang ... close.

Final Stats:
Time: 30:20
44/287 AG (F30-34)
217/2140 gender
654/3965 overall

I left it all out there on the course. I got sub-10 per mile (which I'm THRILLED with) and came pretty close to the sub-30 I would have liked. I said in my pre-race goals post that sub-30 might take some pain. Well, I had pain and still couldn't get it, so that's okay. I know where I need to work before the next 5K I want to do well at in early June (Skirt Sports).

rockies2

1 comment:

  1. Great job!!! Sometimes you have to listen to your body!

    ReplyDelete