Thursday, April 26, 2018

A Few Good Race Goals

Oh hey, I'm finally going to start racing this season!

This is one of my later starts to race season this year and I weirdly feel some trepidation. Why, I'm not entirely sure, but whatever. 

I've got the 5K double this weekend and then my first multisport race of the season in Barkin' Dog next weekend. Which I'm pretty sure I'm completely not ready for, but I used my free race entry from volunteering for it, so I guess I'm showing up.

Donut Dash 5K:

This race is for total shits and giggles. I have a shirt (and a swimsuit, let's be honest) that says I run for donuts ... so I literally will this day. B actually ended up having it off, so he'll be running with me.

My goals are to:
- have fun. Selfies shall abound.
- take it easy. I don't want to hurt after this. At all. Unless it's my stomach from the donuts.
- plus 30 min. And ideally over 31, 32 minutes. If I can make it 33, all the better. 

The main reason why is ...

Rockies 5K:

Which we're doing on Sunday and would preferably like to do well at. 

Said goals are to:
- have fun. This is a permanent race goal. If I'm not having fun, I shouldn't be doing it. Probably won't mean mid-race selfies, though.
- pace well. Forever an issue, but it doesn't mean I can't constantly keep working at it.
- sub-30? My running has been okay and I've even gotten some mileage ... but it's kind of gone downhill since we took about a two week vacation to Italy where I ran twice (but did get in a lot of walking). So we'll see on this one. It might take some pain.

Barkin' Dog Duathlon:

I missed this race last year. I didn't sign up thanks to an awful spring of training and decided to go to Boston and LA instead. Since I volunteered for the Ralston Creek Half, and Racing Underground volunteers get a free race entry ... I decided to use it for Barkin' Dog again. And also short course again.

Running's been okay and cycling has also been okay and I will probably be cramming in some bike miles on the course next week prior to the race.

I've gotten first and second in my AG before at this race and there's a chance I could do it again ... but it all depends on who shows up. And oh crap, I just realized I aged up this year. Dangit. So who knows.

Therefore, I believe my goals should be:
- have fun. Because obviously.
- pace well ... Two runs with a ride in between. Short so I can go close to all out, but not so much that I'm completely dying on the second run.
- ... but go hard on the bike. I've had the fastest bike in my AG the two times I've done this ride. Yes, I'm aging up, but can the streak continue??? I'd like to at least try.

No comments:

Post a Comment