Wednesday, January 3, 2018

December and 2017 Round Up

Let's get the December numbers out of the way first, shall we?

Swimming: 6700m (4.16 mi)
Cycling: 40.89 mi
Running: 23.05 mi
Lifting: 12 sessions (5:07)
Other: two curling sessions (2:00), three elliptical sessions (1:10), two hikes (1:30), one rowing session (:10), one stepmill session (:15), one stretch session (:10), one yoga session (:16)

This month had a lot of stumbles in it. Life had been going really well ... but I got a teensy bit sick and then holiday stress and boo. Five off days, a lot of missed workouts ... but! I didn't end up taking half (or more than half) of the month off like I usually do, so that's a plus. Also a plus: lots of random extra activity beyond the swim/bike/run. 

The main downsides to the slide were the run - missed more runs that I would have liked - and the lifting. I missed a few of my ECfit lifts and so went back to the TIU for the end of the month. 

As for the whole year in general?

Numbers-wise, I had my second-biggest year swimming ever ... probably mostly thanks in part to my swim streak in February. It didn't really reflect in racing much ... which means I definitely need to add some speed work (and possibly more technique work?) for next year.

Since I've been truly keeping track of things (2010), it was my fourth-biggest year in terms of bike miles. I'm super happy I got back over 1000 (third straight year for that), though I'd like to continue to add more miles to the bike (as always). As a sneak peek into next year's plans, I'm not planning on doing a race longer than an Olympic (which, for me, tends to be a lower bike mileage year), but I'd like to definitely ride more than I did this year.

Running ... was a fairly disappointing year. 5th out of 8. I never tend to run much, but I really probably should change that, especially if I'd like my run to get better. I'd like to think that I'm getting on the right track with the HR training, but we'll see how it goes ...?

I lifted a LOT, particularly in the latter months, and I am loving it. Really hope that continues to be a thing.

For goals ... I had one big goal for this past year - to enjoy the process

Did I?

... I think so. I think this is going to be one of those constant, evolving, fluid things. I think it will take me a whole lifetime to get to. Fitness is not in my genes. My family (or at least the last two generations or so ... mostly on both sides ...) is a fairly lazy and sedentary one, particularly past 35. I turn 35 this next year and while I'm trying to get into a consistent rhythm, it's still hard to fight nature. 

That being said, I've enjoyed hikes with friends. I'm starting to enjoy the plod runs I'm doing. I have a quick 8 mile/30 minute ride that I do that does bring me joy. I'm realizing that, if I don't feel that great, if I can force myself to exercise, it makes me feel tons better. It does, it truly does. I just need to remind myself of that a bit more often.

Did I hit my goal?

Technically, no, but I think I'm well on my way, which is okay, because it was a more fluid goal than I originally thought.

Back Friday with 2018 plans and goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment