Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Race #15 of the Season: ColderBOLDER 5K

Or the last race in my "Race to Fitness" quest (cue Katie cringing).

I had been able to successfully drop under 10:00/mile (hooray), but I really, really wanted to get back to sub-30:00 in this race. When I ran it back in 2015, it was one of my fastest-ever 5K times. I knew I probably wouldn't get back into the sub-28s, but I knew if I tried, I could probably get sub-30. Hopefully. In keeping with my MAF runs, I also got up to four miles in the week and a half between Thanksgiving and the race to help with the endurance issues I had been having.

Race day comes and we thought it would be kind of warm. Well, it was ... except for the cloud cover and the breeze. Silly Colorado ...

colderbolder
Buff, singlet, arm warmers ... would it be enough???

Since we were in the open wave, we'd be the absolute last wave to go off (yes, I actually had Brandon again for this race!). We waited until maybe 10, 15? minutes to race start to venture outside (we got to Boulder SUPER early to be able to get ideal parking as we had to bust ass out of there post-race to get to curling on time).

We realized that if one was in the sun, the temperature was okay.

colderbolder2
Pre-race.

colderbolder3
Personalized bibs are the best.

We had tossed around running this one together, but knew that wasn't the goal for either of us, so we went off separately.

I think Brandon beat me out of the gate, so to speak, but I passed him fairly early on (since I'm worse at pacing better at downhills than he is). I made it to the first mile without walking, but needed a walk break at that point since I knew the pace was waaaaay too fast. Husband passed me at this point and I picked it back up.

I told Brandon that the course was pretty flat and fast ... well, I guess the powers that be changed it up a bit since it was a LOT more undulating. Which meant I was dying. I passed Brandon back once again, but he passed me again ... somewhere around mile two? A bit before? Maybe? ... and I was never able to retake him. He thought I was right on his heels the whole race (which unfortunately wasn't accurate), which helped him actually race this race as the first hard, painful 5K in years

I had to walk way more than I would have liked, but I was keeping a very close eye on the ol' Garmin to see if I could make it sub-30.

Thankfully, I did.

colderbolder4
Oh dear sweet jeebus did that hurt. Dead husband is below my hand.

Final Stats:
Time: 29:49
2/27 AG (F34)(all open wave statistics)
227/1088 gender
525/1801

Fastest 5K in a really long time for me and I was able to make it hurt. The running segments (of the run/walks) in that final half mile or so were in the 7s, which is ridiculous for me. But awesome.

That short, hard shit hurts ... and I'll most likely be doing a lot more of it next year. Hooray?

But first, a lot more slow, MAF slogs to get me through the winter ....

No comments:

Post a Comment