Friday, October 27, 2017

Race #10 of the Season: Hoofin' it through the Hollows 5K

... the second race involved in me racing to fitness. Sort of.

This race was weird in that it was a Saturday evening. Happily, Brandon was able to run it with me. He doesn't do costumes (boo), but I like to ... but I didn't have much opportunity to really find something good to run in ... so I went as a color-flipped candy corn.

htth
BU toque, race shirt, Skirt Sports skirt. Candy corn should be white-orange-yellow, but you make do with what you have.

Easy peasy. To fulfill my Team SFQ requirements ... team arm warmers and socks. Love it. Plus the black worked well with the costume.

What Brandon really liked about this race is that we ran into a whole lot of old Run CO friends - Scott, Lisa (okay, so Lisa's Skirt now too), and Leanne. The camaraderie is one of the things I know he really misses and one reason why he hasn't liked running as much. Running is a very solitary sport, but it can also be really social as well, and he's missed the social aspect.

We had really no goals in this race but to run together, so run together we did.

Since I ran with my phone, however, and I wasn't taking this all that seriously, I did take a selfie mid-race with Lisa as we passed her.

htth2

This race was totally low key (and cheap! Like $40 for the two of us! More if we wanted race shirts ... which we passed on.), but it was fun, too. A little lollipop loop on the Highline Canal with jack o' lantern mile markers. Nice touch. There were a lot of people in costume, too. Two that stand out were Carl Spackler (from Caddyshack) and a woman who wore red sweats with little brown balls and white yarn clumps ... spaghetti and meatballs. Totally creative.

Despite mile one being the longest ever, it wasn't too terrible of a result.

Final Stats:
Time: 31:46
15/53 AG (F30-39)
49/176 gender
117/291 overall

I didn't enjoy the post-race food (because I don't like s'mores), but Brandon was all over that.

htth3

Still, nice and fun. Probably would do again.

Next up on the 5K extravaganza tour of the fall is the Eerie Erie tomorrow, where I should run into a few people I know as well. Brandon's out of town, though, so I'll be flying solo. Back next week with how that went!

No comments:

Post a Comment