Monday, September 16, 2013

Weeks Thirty-Six and Thirty-Seven: 9/2-9/15

And if you're following along at home, these would also be weeks 10 and 11 of IM training.

In which things get better, and then infinitely worse. Read on ...

Monday, September 2: Off: exhausted
- Don't know what it was, but I was so tired. Started falling asleep on the couch, which is never good. So, listened to my body and rested.

Tuesday, September 3: Run: 3.37 in 31:04 - 9:13/mi
- Run CO pub run
- hot, humid, spitting rain
- Probably should have done something else today as well, but eh. Glad I ran and glad I pushed it and pushed it hard.

Wednesday, September 4: Swim: 800m in 18:57.05 - 2:22/100m
- 8x100m
- any semblance of form went to hell in that last 100m
Bike: 12.9 mi in 41:06; avg cad 91; 18.8 mph
- 31.9 mph max
- MX12 over-unders
- iced a little bit
- So my elbow hurts, but not the outside - it's more like the inside, like where it bends. No idea. Still, glad I got in a "decent" swim workout as well as over-unders!

Thursday, September 5: Run: 5.34 mi in 48:55 - 9:09/mi
- MX12 - treadmill set - intermediate
- very, very rough
- had to rest some in final interval
- With how I felt in the third interval, I should have just stopped at beginner, but I'm stubborn. So I kept going ... which meant I couldn't properly finish the whole set. Not sure which was better ...

Friday, September 6: Bike: 23.35 mi in 1:22:48; avg cad 88; 16.9 mph
- 26.8 mph max
- Spinervals 22.0 - TimeTrialPalooza
- forced this to happen; glad it did
- Should have done this as soon as I got off work; didn't ... but made myself do it before Brandon got home. Really glad I made that decision ... especially because we didn't go swim.

Saturday, September 7: Run: 9.69 mi in 1:43:11 - 10:38/mi
- to Run CO and back
- OMG hot
- this sucked a lot
- ate part of a waffle mid-run
- Stupid work forcing to do this in the afternoon.

Sunday, September 8: Bike: 62.43 mi in 4:17:43; avg cad 76; 14.53 mph
- 39.3 mph max
- Wacky W ride
- hot, hard, hilly and horrible - cruel, cruel course
- Had a swim scheduled too, but if Nicole DeBoom says I don't have to swim (explained the injury return), I'm going to listen.

Monday, September 9: Off: planned
- Well, sort of. Thought about a workout, but chose not to. Wacky W did kind of kill me ...

Tuesday, September 10: Swim: 1200m in 28:01.68 - 2:20/100m
- 12x100m
- so ... tired ...
- arm held up fine
- Good news is, I think I'm healed. Bad news is, I was up way too late and am so exhausted. Not sure how I even got this in ...

Wednesday, September 11: Off: exhausted
- 3 hours of sleep Monday night and then up for near 22 hours yesterday means I have ZERO energy today. I can't even begin to pry myself off the couch.

Thursday, September 12: Off: exhausted
- Signs I'm getting old - up late two nights in a row and I'm destroyed for a week. Plus the constant rain helps not at all.

Friday, September 13: Off: depressed
- Depressed is the best way to put this. The rain destroying and flooding my state makes everything gloomy and me depressed and not wanting to do anything except sit on twitter and watch flood coverage.

Saturday, September 14: Run: 2.93 mi in 29:05 - 9:55/mi
- kind of old Dayton loop
- long run cut short due to weather
- Didn't mind the rain. Didn't even mind the hail. But the lightning? That means stopping to live to fight another day.

Sunday, September 15: Off: defeat
- A long ride in the rain with most of the trails we would have taken underwater and with lower visibility for cars just didn't sound appealing. We also decided that if next week's bad ... no IMAZ.

That last statement hurts, but it's true. Since Boulder 70.3, training has been shit. Bad week. Good week until I crashed and hurt my arm. Bad week. Two decent weeks (without swimming) and then now one awful week. This can't continue if I want a chance at finishing IMAZ and finishing somewhat well. Given that extremely bitter pill, I scheduled us one hell of a week this week, and it's already off to a good start. I've already swam more today than I have in the past month, so that's a plus.

A few other notes:
- Initially, I was very disappointed with my average speed for the Wacky W because that average will NOT get me through IMAZ. However ... the bike course is flat. The Wacky W ... was not. Can we say 3 miles of straight climbing from miles 55-58? STRAIGHT CLIMBING. No breaks. First few miles were also pretty much all uphill. I won't have to deal with that in Arizona, so I think I'll be okay.
- Running in the hail? Makes you feel like a badass.
- I need to have a job or win the lottery so when depressing things are going on in my state, I can fly far away so I don't feel them so acutely. My heart broke every day last week, seeing more flood coverage, seeing places five miles from me underwater, seeing roads I've driven on multiple times no longer exist, seeing places I've ridden my bike underwater/washed away. It's gotten to the point that I'm actively avoiding Twitter for the most part since that's where I see most of the coverage.
- While I loved having my cousin in town and seeing the Carnival of Madness (Shinedown and Papa Roach; my cousin does sound for the latter), the lack of sleep I got as a result was disastrous. Can't do that when I'm attempting to train for an Ironman ...

Weekly combined training times: 10:40:51
Weekly combined training mileage: 123.35 mi
Yearly training time: 177:04:32
Yearly training mileage: 1493.73 mi

No comments:

Post a Comment