Friday, June 25, 2010

Sometimes, you gotta enjoy the downtime

Being a pilot is hard. Aside from dodging the FAA who is constantly looking for reasons to violate me and take away my license, I have to deal with rest regulations that are laughable (if I showed them to you, you'd be shocked), management that looks at me as just a number, and the joys of commuting to work. And that's all before I get on the airplane.

Being a pilot is also a great job. I get more days off then any 9-5er. I have gotten to see some great areas of the country and some really cool things from the air (seeing Air Force One). It's a job that does allow a lot of downtime and a lot of time to relax and reflect. Unfortunately, this downtime doesn't come easy, as it is away from my friends and my family.

When I get home, often the first thing I want to do, after hugging and kissing the fiancee, is get on my bike and go riding or head over to the pool to do some swimming. Because being on the road doesn't allow access to pools (at least ones that I can get some decent swimming in) or bikes, so on the road, I try to get long runs in and some yoga or lifting. This generally works well, but it does lead to some problems.

For example, sometimes all I want to do when I'm home is cuddle and lay low. Of course, I hate myself for feeling this way, but seriously. I train, I train, and I train, and sometimes, you forget about the things that matter. As much as I love the sport of triathlon and the lifestyle it brings, at times, it's the last thing I want to do.

You see, the other member of Team Baby Dinosaur makes me so happy and is seriously the best thing that has ever happened to me. Even though she and I train together and can share our joy of multi-sport together, there are times when we don't want to be training when my time at home is somewhat limited.

Finding a balance is important, and it's easy to remember there's 24 hours in a day, which allows for a lot of time to do everything you want/need to do. But sometimes too, it's important to enjoy the downtime and forget about training. At least for one day. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment