Friday, March 6, 2020

Race #2 of the Season: Leap Day 5K

This race was a bit spur of the moment (though not registered for last second). I knew B was going to be home for it and I got emails for it ... so I asked him, "hey, how do you feel about running a 5K on the 29th?" He said sure, so we went for it.

Neither of us had really raced a 5K in a few years - April 2018, I think? Let me note that while we did run hard at the Colorado 5K last June, I don't think either of us were actually attempting to race it like we did at the aforementioned April race (Rockies 5K). 

Race morning looked to be a bit chillier than we had hoped (stupid clouds). Eh, welcome to Colorado.

leap_day
Race photogs got me dropping off donations. Courtesy 3W Races.

Since it was chilly, we mostly hung out in the car until about 10 minutes prior to the start. I got to see several friends/fellow Skirt ambassadors at the race including Deb and Jen, so that was nice.

Soon enough ... go time.

leap_day4
I'm on the left while B is in the yellow socks. Photo 3W Races.

I was in front of B until the first main hill that I had to walk some on at probably .75 miles. From that point until probably a little after 2 miles, we leap-frogged. I was able to run at a decent clip when I was running, but the cold made it a bit hard to breathe. And I used my stupid inhaler for a change, so I was a bit grumbly.

In any case, 5Ks are nice and short and it means the pain is over (relatively) quickly.

leap_day9
Urgh. Photo 3W races.

IMG_1071
Dead husband, who finished 30 seconds prior to me. It took him a few minutes to peel himself off the pavement.

IMG_1072
... that's a nice surprise ...

Final Stats:
Time: 29:48.1
17/89 AG (F30-39)
57/370 gender
118/544 overall

First time I have gone sub-:30 in a 5K since December 2017 when I last did my "race to fitness" experiment. I was kind of wondering if I'd ever see that again. Thankfully ... I did. Now to get it even lower ...

No comments:

Post a Comment