Friday, January 10, 2020

2020 Goals

I've been putting off writing this post for a little while as I'm still trying to figure out what, if anything, I want my goals to be for 2020.

I haven't officially nailed down my race season yet (... part of the reason I haven't changed the sidebars yet. really need to do that ...) which is a huge part of it.

What I have so far is Rock N Roll Arizona half-marathon (... in just about a week) and IM 70.3 Memphis in October. Other than that? 

I'm hoping for IM Lake Placid in July - one of my baby cousins (not so baby now, clearly ...) was supposed to do it last year as his first but I was already signed up for Wisconsin, so I obviously couldn't go. Then, he developed blood clots in his legs (apparently a thing that's been going on for a while), so had to defer. Since he's in theory going to do it this year now ... I would love to race it with him. Even though I totally wasn't planning on racing another IM this year. I may have talked B into it, but maybe not. I haven't registered for it at least.

With all that being said ... goals?

Embrace the Hill. This was kind of a goal several years ago, even though I'm totally too lazy to go check and figure out when. 2014, maybe? If I end up doing Placid, it is hella hilly, including a 10-11 mile climb on each bike loop. Yeahhhhh ... looks like I need to learn to love climbing on the bike.

Drop my swim times. I've kind of just settled in at a pace that I would like to be faster. I think this is going to need a combination of swimming more frequently, swimming harder in some of those swims, and possibly some professional help. I want to keep up the volume to some extent, but I probably need to go from around three swims a week to four to five swims a week as well.

Keep working on my run. I've been doing the heart rate thing on my long runs for a little over a year now and I'm not sure it's entirely working. I'm going to keep at it, but I also need to keep working on speed beyond it. Or I also need to get professional medical help to see what the eff is going on with my lungs.

Lean out. My weight has apparently stabilized (which ... whatever fine), but I'm still a bit lumpier than I'd like in some areas. I've also got more muscle definition in other areas (and some in areas I've never seen before), but I'd like it to be a bit more evenly distributed.

Stay healthy and happy. This is a permanent goal. If I'm not either of those things, I'm not doing it right.

As for times ... would I like to get a half-marathon under 2:15 (or, hell, 2:20) again? Yes. Would I like to finally get another fucking sub-:30 5K? Yes. Would I like to continue PRing at the 70.3 (and also the 140.6) distance? Yes. If I don't, is it the end of the world? No. If I do the above, times might take care of themselves anyway.

Though if I can go sub-7 at Memphis, I'd be giddy as hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment