Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Race #1 of the Season: Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Half-Marathon

This race got put on the radar because we knew we needed to hit up the desert sometime in the early part of the new year to use some tickets in Tucson and also because B's mom is spending some of the winter in Scottsdale so it was a good excuse to go visit. I did wait and see if the medal was good (and it was), so sure, why not a half-mar?

The build was pretty terrible - I missed a few long runs ... and a few short ones ... and the week leading up to it was literally the worst - but the long runs I had gotten in had gone okay and I was really hoping I would have enough residual fitness left over from IMoo.

The original plan was for B to race the 5K on Saturday, but for some reason, we didn't sign up beforehand, and the line at the expo for registration was RIDICULOUS, so that didn't happen. Which is fine; he's not really ready to "race" a 5K right now anyway.

I did buy new shoes that Friday - tested out a new store in Gilbert - and in my immense wisdom, decided to try them out on race day.

(in general, I know this is horrible, but it's not like I had another chance to really try them out before we had to head back to Colorado and I really needed new shoes.)

I didn't think it would the absolute worst idea since there is a theory out there that you shouldn't need to break in shoes ... but when you go from a 10-11mm drop to a zero drop (Brooks Ghost to Altra Torin)? Yeahhh, you should probably have an adjustment period. Oops.

Anyway, woke up race morning early enough to get down to Tempe and park before we had to deal with a lot of traffic/road closures (and also to get B coffee). 

IMG_0184
Last time I took a picture like this it was for an IMAZ banner ...

It was fairly chilly and windy, but I know that I'm a hot runner, so I was dressed for when the sun came out - singlet, arm warmers (that ended up coming off late race), skirt, compression socks, gaiter/buff for the ears. I also threw on a lot of sunscreen because I'm trying to get better about that (I forget for long runs sometimes).

Then ... a lot of standing around waiting as it took about 30 minutes from the first gun for me to finally start.

IMG_0187
Creepin' on B who rode his bike around the course to cheer me on and take pics.

IMG_2394
Right after the start. Those pink arm warmers made me easy to spot.

I started off fairly well, not walking until the mile 2 banner. I definitely noticed the drop effect of the shoes early in my calves/Achilles area, but it was okay and actually felt better to run than to walk. However, sometime in mile 3, my feet - particularly my left foot - started to get tingly. I'm not sure if they ever got numb, but it was a bit rough. I stopped a few times to adjust the tightness of my laces to see if that would help, and it definitely reflected in my mile times.

9:44, 9:36, 10:44, 12:11

I knew there was nothing to do but fight, so fight I did. I was pretty thankful that it felt better to run than walk since it forced me to keep running. I saw B at around mile 6.6 and his mom was able to make it there as well to say hi.

The rest of that mile was entirely uphill (thanks, Thomas Road).

9:51, 10:13, 10:55

Official 6.2 mile split: 1:02:39

About 7.25 to 8.25 was the wear blue mile. I have a few few Skirt sisters who work with them and I really don't know how I didn't cry. Got close. I also stopped for the one picture I took all race - of former Army Hockey player Derek Hines.

IMG_0189
I missed the sign for Pat Tillman, but I heard people mention him/it. It's fortuitous that I heard it, since I really started paying attention to the signs and was able to catch this one.

I was super tempted to make the turn into the Desert Botanical Garden as we ran right past the entrance, but no, I decided to keep running.

We had another huge hill in the Papago Park area, but we were rewarded with super cool (Japanese?) drummers at the top.

10:40, 11:32, 10:42, 10:37

Official 10 mile split: 1:46:33

The tingly feeling eventually went away but the heel of my right foot had been hurting some ... but I just ran it out anyway. It did start to get quite warm, but I kept my arm warmers on as long as possible ... mostly because I didn't put sunscreen on under them. I did finally ditch them around mile 9ish though.

I saw B again a little after mile 11. The last bit of the race got a bit rough, but I just kept powering through. Especially after I saw my gross 12 mile split.

12:04, 10:36

SBGI3539
Running/racing is so attractive. This is right before the final turn to the finish.

Final bit: :48.9

When I signed up for this race, I estimated my finish to be about a 2:20. That was a bit better than the last half I had run back in the middle of IM training in July. I thought I might do a few minutes better than that at one point, but alas, it was not to be.

Final Stats:
Time: 2:20:12
239/552 AG (F35-39)
1557/3775 gender
3519/6911 overall

Welp, nailed that prediction.

IMG_0191
Tossed the legs up a light pole post-race. How much time must I spend in Tempe Beach Park?

In terms of races, this one wasn't bad. I'm actually pretty happy with how it went, all things considered. It makes me think that I can get solidly back in the mid 2:10s again. I would consider doing this actual race again, too. As long as the medal's pretty awesome.

WHHG5612

No comments:

Post a Comment