Wednesday, April 4, 2018

March Round-Up

I missed some workouts this month for sure (when do I not?), butbutBUT I managed to hit my mileage goals, so everything is wonderful!

Swimming: 9800m (6.09 mi)
Cycling: 85.34 mi
Running: 42.88 mi
Lifting: 16 sessions (4:53)
Other: two curling sessions (2:30), one barre session (:10), one stationary bike session (:10), three yoga sessions (:48)

Curling is almost done for the season - we've got one more mixed doubles match left (our last game we'll be out of town for) and we might participate in a bonspiel, but other than that, that's going to stay quiet for quite a while. I attempted to do my Pure Barre DVD ... but that wasn't wise on a day that I already did a decent strength workout. Couldn't get through it keeping proper form, so did the prudent thing and turned it off. The stationary bike session was me getting on the bike in Costa Rica and a case of "something is better than nothing." The yoga has been tossed in here and there and has felt great.

Swimming, like always, should have been higher - probably around 15k? - but I hit my main goal of 7500m so I'm happy.

I've been on the trainer more than I'd like lately, but I'm still getting my rides done, and I surpassed my goal of 75 miles. By a lot. I finally did one of the longer rides from the house and I got invited to go ride dirt with Katie (she had a bike I could borrow), and that was my longest ride in a really long time.

Running was the main joy, as I hit my 40 mile goal. Those 42.88 miles are also the most I've run in a month since last August (camp, Pikes Peak), which is a touch embarrassing to type, but whatever. I'm working on it. I'm also already at 100 miles a third of the way through the year which means I'm on pace for at least 400 and hopefully more than that. Hopefully.

I didn't really add in plyometrics yet, but I have been somehow fortunate to always schedule my TIU workouts on the HIIT days, so there's that.

******

In other news, I came to the decision that I'd like this race season to be fun. I'll still probably try to go for my 5K PR (because speed *is* fun), but I'm not sure about any of my other speed goals. I've registered for the Donut Dash 5K and the Colorado Rockies 5K, which are on the same weekend. The Donut race I don't plan on taking seriously at all, while I may try to actually race the Rockies race. Brandon will be joining me for the latter, too.

I emailed Racing Underground to use my free entry for the short course at Barkin' Dog, so that will be pseudo-serious as well.

I guess "serious" isn't the proper word. Fun is races I enjoy and can enjoy myself during. I don't particularly enjoy the olympic distance when it comes to triathlons, so I won't be doing any of those. Sprints, however, I like. So I will. But I'll also "race" them (as much as I race anything ...) because, as I said above, speed is fun. This means that a fast(er) half-marathon this year might be off the table; I haven't decided that yet. A slower, half, however, IS in the works, as I may have talked my friend Lindsey into doing the Blerch half with me in September. A race where I can eat cake and sit on couches in the middle of it? Sign me up!

******

I'm not setting ambitious April mileage goals - 5000m swimming, 45 mi riding, and 20 mi running - solely because I have an almost two-week vacation to Italy and I want to enjoy it. Will I be bringing running shoes along? Technically, yes, I shall (older ones, for walking around purposes), but I don't want to stress out about training. I want to spend the time exploring with Brandon. 

My walking numbers should be off the charts, though.

And, realistically, I should be able to hit those goals (and surpass them) no problem, but, well, life.

No comments:

Post a Comment