Wednesday, February 28, 2018

February Round-Up

Another month down ... and it didn't go quite as well as I'd hoped it to, but I almost hit all my goals. Onward!

Swimming: 7564.4m (4.7 mi)
Cycling: 40.9 mi
Running: 32.65 mi
Lifting: 11 sessions (2:08)
Other: one curling session (:60), one stint race volunteering (2:00), two walks (8:00), two yoga sessions (:32)

Not a lot of curling this month, but that's because one or both of us was gone for almost every Sunday and stuff was cancelled due to snow and/or the Olympics. (woo gold!)

I volunteered at the Ralston Creek Half-Marathon/5K. Racing Underground mentioned in their emails that they still needed volunteers ... and volunteering means a free race entry (which I will probably use for Barkin' Dog) ... so I signed up. I helped out with directing parking pre-race and then handed out medals to the half-marathoners. So really, I was out there for more like six hours, but I just counted the two. And a sunburned face.

I didn't actually go on two really long walks; what I did was hang around Disneyland/Disney California Adventure for two days and that is a fair (probably under-) estimation of the time spent on feet. 28, 29k steps each day.

As to my actual February goals, they were to swim at least 5000m, ride 50 mi, and run 30 mi. As you can see, I hit two of the three. I got close to riding, too, despite not riding my bike for about two weeks in there. Almost all of those miles were done in the last 10ish days of February, but hey, I made a valiant effort!

I had a weird malaise mid-month ... and I'm not exactly sure why. I don't know if I'm struggling finding purpose in training since I haven't officially signed up for anything yet, or what. I have had a bit of renewed vigor the past week or so, though, and I'm seizing on to it as tight as I can.

Going forward with March ... I'm actually stopping the HR runs. I was curious as to why it didn't seem like I was progressing and my research told me ... I didn't actually start doing the whole process correctly. Instead of feeling like I just wasted the last three months ... I'm choosing to go forward with a different path. My legs clearly want to run fast, but I have absolutely no lungs. I had better lungs when I was doing hockey training and sprint work ... so I'm going to go back to a bit of that. Plyometrics, agility training, short sprints. All things to build up my lungs. Since Brandon bought new hockey skates and we'd ideally like to try picking that up again ... it'll also help in that realm, as well.

I've been enjoying planning week-by-week, so I'm going to stick with that.

My mileage goals are a bit up from last month (and I actually hit my swim goal so as long as I equal what I did in February I'll be good) - 7500m in the pool, 75 miles on the bike, and 40 miles running. Wish me luck!

1 comment: