Thursday, July 7, 2016

Race #8 of the Season: Skirt Sports 5K

Picking up from my last post, the last part of the Skirt weekend was the 13er (it's not half of anything) and the 5K.

My original original season plan was to have missed out on all the Saturday fun (boo) because of racing Boulder 70.3 and then suffer through the 5K on Sunday. Those plans changed when the 70.3 sold out before we could register (... sad, but I got to hang with my Skirt family instead, so oh well), but I still decided to keep with the 5K.

If you recall, I had gotten third in my AG the last two times I'd raced this race, and was hoping to continue the streak if at all possible.

Brandon was out of town, so I was flying solo for this race.

skirt_race
On the phone with B pre-race.

My general plan for this race was the same as it has been for most of my 5Ks - go out hard and hold on for dear life; with the special race-specific guide of managing the killer hill in the middle.

I was generally successful with this. I started out up front and settled into high-8s, low-9s pretty quickly.

skirt_race
Behind Kim of Kim and Jake's. Photo courtesy Jen Allen.

My pace struggled with the hill and I had to walk some and I got passed a bit (boo). I tried to hold on as best I could, but it was hard.

The last half of the race (down the hill and back to the finish; race was a straight out-and-back), I was running in the 7s when I could run, but it wasn't sustainable at all. I made it to the finish dead, but with a race PR.

skirt_race4
Crossing. Photo courtesy 3W Races.

Final Stats:
Time: 28:50
6/32 division (F30-39)
17/116 overall (only women)

If we had five year age groups (so F30-34), my third place streak would have stayed alive, but alas ... it was not to be.

I still had fun post-race, though, with my girls and cake before I had to leave to get some stuff done before work that night.

skirt_race3
Caaaaaaake. Photo courtesy Jen Allen.

skirt_race2
13er medals. So cool!

skirt_race3
Delicious tasty Kim and Jake's.

skirt_race4

skirt_race5
Skirt sister Jennifer got a hula-hooping contest going. She and Noelle (pictured above) rocked it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment