Tuesday, April 26, 2016

1/3rd of the Year is Done - Here's a Report

The year seems to be flying by.  I know, I know, we all say that all the time.  Where's the time gone, blah blah blah.  But I'm serious - it's been a whirlwind!  

I've pretty much run the gamut of emotions so far this year.  I've had some awesome workouts in all three disciplines of triathlon where I feel like I can conquer the world and then some other workouts where I wonder how the hell I'm going to be ready for my Ironmans. It's funny - you know you're doing the right thing and at the same time the self doubt can be so strong it's overpowering.  

It's easy to look at the numbers of what other people are doing for their races and think you're not doing enough.  Hell I could even do that by looking in my own house (T is owning me in the numbers department, especially on the bike).  And let's face a reality - our sport is driven by numbers.  Why log it otherwise, right?  And although I've had the debate rage within myself about "less is more", sometimes, it means nothing.

So anyway, here's my honest to god numbers as of April 26th at 11:03 am:

Swim - 46,300 meters
Bike - 615.27 miles
Run - 159.14 miles

Now I look at those and strangely, I'm not cringing.  I know they aren't big, but I'm not worried.  I have put my faith in my Coach, and she has assured me that what we are doing is building.  Putting in a strong base so that when May, June, and July roll around and the intensity/length of workouts skyrockets, I'll be prepared and ready.  There's wisdom in her words and I'm putting my faith in them.

Here's what I'm looking for in May:

- coming out of the month with confidence.  My confidence this year has been a roller coaster, and if I train in May correctly, I will have soaring confidence.  
- a big bike month.  I don't have a number in mind, but I know if I do May right, I'll feel it.
- the BolderBoulder.  I'm off Memorial Day, so I'll be doing this 10K.  Whether we race it or not has yet TBD by Coach.  I'm 50/50 on what I want the day to be, race or fun.
- Being smarter with my workouts.  I'm realizing some truths here - travel days are exhausting.  Commuting to the east coast, while great for my work schedule, takes its toll on my body and instead of trying to force a workout in those days, it might be wise/prudent to use them as off/rest days.  I also am ready to tackle some 2 a day workouts.  Instead of doing a long run, split it up.  Do a bike the same way.
- Lose some more weight.  My weight is stagnant right now in the high 190's.  It's time to chop a few more pounds down
- this is the most important point in May.  HAVE FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment