Sunday, May 3, 2015

#REALwomenmove

As a side note ... April's round up will be coming soon. It won't be pretty ...

If you've been following along with me for a while, y'all know that I love me the Skirt Sports. Earlier today, they launched the #REALwomenmove movement.

From the Web site ...

"We're on a mission to empower unmotivated or intimidated women and young girls. Let's show them what it looks like to make health and fitness a priority, despite the daily obstacles that get thrown in our paths. It's that simple ..."

"Who is a REAL woman? She is proud of who she is. She is confident. She does not judge, but rather encourages other women. She is comfortable in her own body. She accepts and loves herself as she is. She prioritizes health and fitness."

As a Skirt Ambassador (and blogger), I was asked to write a bit about what this means to me. Given what April has been for me in terms of fitness and training (hint: not pretty), I almost feel like I'm not qualified. 

I'm really more taking it a different form, as in #realwomenMOVE, since I'm in the midst of moving. Brandon and I bought our first house and we've been running up and down flights of stairs and lifting boxes and furniture and stripping wallpaper and painting and dear sweet jeebus it makes you SORE. 

And I realized ... I've been sore, but I've still been able to get through everything. The two of us can handle our furniture by ourselves and run up all those flights of stairs BECAUSE we make fitness a priority 99% of the time. 

Real women move.

The "freshmen fuck-ups" on my hockey team freshman year in college. Realistically, none of us should probably have made the team that year, but we all had a desire to play a little puck and it was a successful season. Out of our huge freshman class, almost all of us stayed on the team all four years, improving along the way.

Real women move.

It doesn't have to be running. I see so many women running because they feel like they have to, and I can tell they're miserable. Try yoga. Or pilates. Or crossfit. Or rowing. Or skiing. Or barre. Or jump roping. Or walking. Or stand-up paddleboarding. Or surfing. Or hula-hooping. Or ice skating. Or Wii fit. Or regular random dance parties in your house. I PROMISE you that you'll find something you like.

There is no right way to move, just so long as you DO.

Real women move. I choose hockey, triathlon, random dance parties, walking, lifting weights, yoga. What will you choose? I'll tag my photos and experiences with #REALwomenmove and #SkirtSports - you do the same. As a bonus, for every 5000 hashtags, Skirt Sports will donate a Get Started Scholarship to a woman who exemplifies the real woman traits above and/or is actively trying to break her own barriers in running/fitness.

No comments:

Post a Comment